From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:00:22 -0400
> Could any of that be related to the issue of different species being able to decipher each other's languages?

Actually, very interesting work was done on this by Kirk Visscher.
He found that when conditions are favorable, bees tend
to ignore all the dancing and flight straight to honey sources.
Ironically, this confirms Wenner's contention that bees ignore the
dancing and use odor cues.

However, when conditions are poor, the use of dance information is
crucial to the bee's finding scarce resources, which shows that they
do use the info when they need it. I would compare this to the use of
advertising.

For example, as I type this in GMAIL, along the right side of the
screen is a whole lot of "targeted advertising" which reads my email
(the snoops) and offers me what they think I want.

Honey&Beekeeping Supplies
All your Beekeeping Needs Packages,Nucs and Queens
www.nebees.com
Best Swarm Removal Tool
Easy to use, lasts for years, seals completly. Safe Transportation.
www.NODApiaryProducts.com
etc.

I probably never even look there, but I know that if I want to buy
something, the internet will serve it up to me in a microsecond. The
information is always there if I "need" it. Same for the bees. If they
need to know where good sources are, they can "read" the dance
language and go there directly. Otherwise they just fly out and work
the nearest stuff that smells right.

* * *
they say: No humans will read the content of your email in order to
target such advertisements or related information. Because the ads and
related pages are matched to information that is of interest to you,
we hope you'll find them relevant and useful.