Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 22:48:52 -0400
> I am particularly interested in the 4000 hives of the Sullivan's in
> plastic boxes...  The Sullivan's claim a 15% increase in brood rearing
> with the plastic boxes. My friend Murray M. ( Scotland)  of BEE-L tells me
> he loves his plastic boxes. Maybe Murray will comment on his experience
> with plastic brood boxes?

What sort of plastic boxes?

I have some 'styrofoam' Swienty and Betterbee boxes and have reviewed them a
few times on my site.  There is not much to differentiate, except that the
Swientys I have are all one-piece, and the betterbees come knocked down.  I
just stuck the Betterbees together without glue and put the frames in.  I
did not paint either type.  Don't really need it.

Years later, a few of the betterbee boxes are slightly open at the corners a
bit from prying frames around inside.  Does not bother the bees at all, or
me either.  The Swienties are, of course still as solid as new.  I think I
might take the time to use a little white glue next time on thr knocked-down
ones.  Maybe not.

These boxes are fine IMO.  They are different, though, from wood in the
timing of things, although in the end, I figured it all worked out about the
same.  Same crop, same loss.  Maybe more varroa.

Bees in  them are Slower starting in spring, but they catch up fast.

One thing for sure is that a beekeeper has to decide one or the other.
Don't mix them in a yard or on a hive.  In a yard, the management is
different in timing between wood and plastic, and on a hive, for brood boxes
at least, up here where we wrap, the result of mixing is an unwrappable
four-pak or hive.  Besides why wrap a styro hive?  They are already wrapped
and winter great just as they are.

I have run them for almost ten years, and just now got around to drilling
auger holes in each.  I think that will help.