From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 08:33:36 -0600
What should be the expected result, if any, of feeding liquid 1:1 to small colonies at outside air temperatures of 45F or less, and nighttime lows in the mid 30's F. ?

Little consumption!  But it is according to many,  the right answer.   I developed a feeder for the guys who do this,  so spent a lot of time asking questions,  (Randy may chime in when he gets time also)
The concept of hive top out side feeders is to get the food directly over the and into the cluster/broodnest.  When its too cold  as in 45 or less the consumption will be tiny for most small hives.  Larger hives who need more resources will take it faster.

Both are good.  The idea of over the broodnest is food on tap.  No need to warm up enough to break cluster completely to get food.  The other reason many use this method id they believe it reduces robbing.  Change the feeder in seconds no need to open the hive (which is helpful in cold also)

Last I knew Randy was using quart jars with a small nipple soldered in the lid ( he may have changed),  most of the others use a 1 1/4 screw lid with 1-3 tiny holes (.040)

The only downside I am aware of is possible dripping on the cluster, and not being able to clean it up fast enough to stay dry. If they need it,  and it warms up, they will take it,  if not  then its just ignored.

Charles