From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:04:48 -0400
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And another term is "tanging", the process of
> persuading a swarm to come
> to ground by e.g. beating a frypan with a ladle!

Thanks John, I checked it out.
Some interesting history about tanging swarms dating to Ancient Roman
times.

“…since Ancient times it was believed that a flying swarm could be induced
to settle by ‘tanging’-striking two metal objects together to make a loud
noise…”
(The World History of Beekeeping and Honey Hunting, Pg 239, Eva Crane,
1999)

“This custom of tanging swarms was as universal in the British Isles as in
the Roman Empire, and it may be that the custom was introduced into
Britain by the Romans, but it is certain that the English were acquainted
with it before they came to England.”
(The Sacred Bee in Ancient Times and Folklore, Pg. 225, Hilda M. Ransome,
2004

(Rural Recollections: with Other Poems, William Holloway, 1803)
“…And the shrill tinklings of the brazen pan, In van of swarming bees….”

tang - tanging or tinkling   “innilusque cie et Matris quäle cymbala
circum” Tinnilusque cie. "Call forth, also, tinklings," i. e., make a
tinkling noise with brazen vessels. A tinkling noise is generally, though
erroneously, considered to be useful in inducing bees to settle ; it is
usually made by drumming smartly upon a frying-pan with a large key ; and
the cottagers, according to Bevan, call it tanging or ringing. It was
probably practised at first, as Butler says, to proclaim to the neighbours
that a swarm was up, serving as a public notification to them from what
quarter the swarm proceeded. "This view of the matter is confirmed," says
Bevan, " by the opinion prevalent in some districts, that unless the
apiarian can prove the tanging, he cannot justly lay claim to the swarm,
if it happen to cluster on the premises of a neighbour. The original of
this proceeding seems, however, to be lost sight of, and what was founded
on reason has been continued from habit ; consequently, the practice is
regarded by most of the cottagers as quite necessary to effect a speedy
and satisfactory settling of the bees. Most scientific apiarians
discountenance it, and I am convinced that it is wholly unnecessary. It
is, however, a very ancient practice, older than the days of Aristotle."
(The Eclogues and Georgics of Virgil, Pg 401, Charles Anthon, 1847

Tanging was called ‘tinkling’ by the ancient Roman times.  In Virgils Book
of Georgics, we can date the custom of tanging to 29 B.C.E.  Here, a
section from the Book of Georgics that describes tinkling swarms.

“You marvel at yon dusky cloud that spreads And lengthens on the wind,
then mark them well; For then 'tis ever the fresh springs they seek And
bowery shelter: hither must you bring The savoury sweets I bid, and
sprinkle them, Bruised balsam and the wax-flower's lowly weed, And wake
and shake the tinkling cymbals heard By the great Mother: on the anointed
spots Themselves will settle, and in wonted wise Seek of themselves the
cradle's inmost depth.”  (The Georgics, Virgil, 29 B.C.E.)

Best Wishes
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles