From:
"Bob St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:33:42 EST

<< ere was an incidence a couple of years ago in Utah when two horses
 tied to some junk for a period of several hours.  The horses kicked over
 some nearby hives and could not get away.  The horses were put down by a
 Vet (we don't know whether the bee stings would have killed them). >>

This illustrates the crux of the problem. If the horses are able to run around
the bees will not be too much of a problem. They will get stung and run away.

If the horse is tied near the bees they will panic when stung and the bees
will attack and kill the horse. The bees will behave like Africanized bees.
Around 1938 a frind of my fthers tied his horse near the bees and left. When
he returned the horse was dieing. Acouple of years later my dad had to buy him
a new lariat when he broke the old one trying to pull our truck out of the mud
with another of his horses.

One time I was riding in the mountains and we ran into a wasp nest and we both
got stung, but we got out fast and no lasting damage was done.