From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:36:03 +0000
Hello Formic acid, Dave explained the method of applying FA 65% using mitewipe pads in Alberta. The difference between Allan 's write up and Dave, Allan's write up was few years back when we started to test formic acid.  In my lab we did more research on the subject for the past several years.  We tried to simplify the method and make it friendly in terms on number of applications. We doubled the dose from 40 ml to 80 ml using two pads of 40 ml per hive. Total number of applications are 3, one application every 7-10 days. Results showed that efficacy was 78.5%+/- 8.5 and 71.9 %+/- 6.5 for 2011 and 2012, respectively. This paper was published last year.

Abstract:

ournal of Economic Entomology 107(6):2030-2036. 2014

doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1603/EC14048

New Miticides for Integrated Pest Management of Varroa destructor (Acari: Varroidae) in Honey Bee Colonies on the Canadian Prairies

No Access

L. P. Vandervalk,1,2 M. E. Nasr,3 and L. M. Dosdall4

1 Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development, Lethbridge Agriculture Centre, 5401 — 1st Ave., South, Lethbridge, AB, Canada T1J 4V6.

3 Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development, Crop Diversification Centre North, 17507 — Fort Rd., NW, Edmonton, AB, Canada T5Y 6H3.

2 Corresponding author, e-mail: [log in to unmask]

4 Deceased.

ABSTRACT

Varroa destructor Anderson and Trueman 2000 (Acari: Varroidae) is an ectoparasitic mite of the honey bee, Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Honey bee colonies require extensive management to prevent mortality caused by varroa mites and the viruses they vector. New miticides (Thymovar and HopGuard) to manage varroa mites were evaluated during the spring and fall treatment windows of the Canadian prairies to determine their effectiveness as part of an integrated management strategy. Thymovar and HopGuard were evaluated alongside the currently used industry standards: Apivar and formic acid. Results demonstrated that Apivar and formic acid remain effective V. destructor management options under spring and fall conditions. Applications of Thymovar during spring were associated with a reduction in brood area, and therefore should be limited to the fall season. The miticide HopGuard was not effective in managing V. destructor, and alteration of the current delivery system is necessary. This study demonstrates the potential for new effective treatment options to supplement currently used V. destructor integrated pest management systems.

J. Econ. Entomol. 107(6): 2030Ð2036 (2014); DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1603/EC14048

Hope this info, helps.

Medhat