Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2011 11:12:51 -0400
On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 14:41:09 -0400, allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>And now the rest of the story from the beekeeper in question:

...and more...

---

The way the farmer talked, he wasn't even aware he was supposed to notify
beekeepers. He was hiring an airplane to spray the fields, and I got the idea
he had mentioned a beekeeper having bees on his buckwheat fields and the
airplane spray guy probably told him about requirements of notifying area
beekeepers. Even though it was short notice, I feel the farmer made a good
faith effort to do the right thing. I'd rather short notice with good intentions
over no notice and disregard for others.

Yes, the farmer is definitely going to get extra honey. I'd already decided that.
I want to make sure the farmer is treated right - the buckwheat has been a
blessing in a no crop year, and if the farmer continues to grow buckwheat,
I'd like to be able to place bees in future years too.

I got to wondering what the law actually says. From the best I can tell, the
 farmer is under no obligation to notify beekeepers because the crop is not
in bloom.

Field must be larger than 1/2 acre.
Crop has to be in bloom.
Apiary must be registered.
Apiary must have a sign with contact info.
Only apiaries within 1/2 mile are notified.
No less than 24 hours notice.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b559/559_14.html