Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:52:06 -0600
This message from [log in to unmask] was sent to me and has not
appeared on the list since the original quoted the entirety of the previous
post (mine).

Messages that carry unnecessary quotes are usually rejected without comment
unless they are particularly good.

This one asked some good questions, and although they have been asked
before, I'll address them.
---

> 1 are there any studies that show the economic threshold of small cell
> bees or is it assumed to be the same as large cell bees.

Small cell bees is not a category that is easily identified and studied,
since some 'small cell bees" are normal bees that have been forced to raise
brood in artificially small cells (and apparently, to some extent at least
their immediate descendants).  Other "small cell bees" are bees that
naturally make smaller cells (under 5.0mm?).  An example is AHB in the
Americas and scutellata in Africa.  Moreover, there is no general agreement
on thresholds for honey bees, since it varies with strain, locality, season
and other factors.

> 2 small cell bees produce more bees per frame why do pollinators not go to
> this even if it does not control varroa.  I do not know if it does or does
> not control varroa.

True.   Good point.  The criterion that pollinators use is the total number
of bees in the hive and entrance activity.  It stands to reason that bees
that are smaller might well have a smaller frame count with the same number
of actual bees.

> 3 why can ahb not be bred to be used commercially the original stocks of
> bees in the united states were more hot and had more swarms than they are
> now.

This is an interesting question.  At present all AHB is stigmatized,
regardless of strain or degree of Africanization.  The matter is somewhat
technical and under study, since studies I have heard discussed
(unpublished?) seem to indicate that controlling the degree of
Africanization and dividing the good qualities from the bad is something we
do not understand sufficiently to manage with confidence.  I think that
ultimately this will happen, though.  See also the Tabor importation and
distribution discussion in the archives.

> 4 if dee lusbys bee buisness has no commercial application how has she
> been in buisness for over 25 years.  buisnesses do not stay in buisness
> that way.

Although I believe I know the answer to that question, that is something you
would have to ask Dee herself.

> Thank you Eric Slayton

Thanks for asking.

allen