From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 06:53:59 -0700
> > I thought I would ask if anyone on the Bee-L has had extensive experience
> > with bees being snowed in for long periods.
>
> I would think that Allen will have some advice on this matter.

Actually, we are in an area where we would like to have more snow.  I just
bought a snowmobile and we have only about 2 to 3 inches on the ground. We'll be
lucky if we get any more before it sublimates or melts, but sometimes we are
lucky.  One year, 1956, there were drifts up to 26 feet high, I am told.

I have had hives covered completely only a few times, but each time everything
was AOK. There is a beekeeper(s) in Northern Saskatchewan who actually goes out
and deliberately shovels snow over his hives each winter.  He is in an area
where the winters are long, and he winters outdoors in singles with very little
loss, so I guess he knows what he is doing!

allen