From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:43:00 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, CAIR
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Does anyone have any information about or experience with high-tension
>power lines causing bees to swarm?

I think if you search the archives you will find this is a subject which
has been covered several times before.

All I can add, and have done so before, is that we are in an area with
many power lines criss crossing the landscape and quite often we place
loads of hives near, or even directly under, HT power lines. These are
not the small few thousand volt type which we do not even pay any
attention to, but the big stuff, up to 330,000V.

No difference whatsoever in any aspect of their behaviour.

For many years one of our best locations has been within the footprint
of a very large junction pylon. This is on a live 330,000V line, and the
pylon is big enough to drive our vehicle through the bottom and still
fit 50 colonies in with more scattered outside. It is the only area of
unused ground adjacent to the crops on the farm in question so we had to
use it, and have been doing so now for nearly 20 years now. It is one of
our very best locations, with no accentuated aggression, swarming or
anything else untoward. Combs are drawn perfectly normally.

I don't suppose this helps much, as some people have very entrenched
beliefs (even fears and phobias) about such things. Bees, fortunately,
are not familiar with many of the subjects that exercise our minds and
just get on with it wherever they find conditions favourable.

--
Murray McGregor