From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:59:58 PST
Re the question raised by Stan Sandler.

Here in Australia we have been told that full fat soya will kill bees hence using de-fatted.

Re Andy's comment about not raising a frame of brood on soya flour, here in Australia I have seen bees working on Caley's ironbark, a winter flowering eucalypt, which were fed de-fatted soya flour in the open.  The Caley's ironbark has no pollen and bees will cannabilise their brood when they are placed on it if not supplementary fed.

 With access to the soya flour, they did maintain about 3-4 frames of brood.  So we can get frames of brood with soya flour.  If there was no soya, the bees would be broodless.  By the way, that was two years ago and the bees produced a great crop of honey.

Several years previously when the Caley's ironbark flowered, the bees were fed patties made on soya flour, torula yeast and pollen and again the bees maintain 3-4 frames of brood.  Hives not fed patties did not have any brood.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA