From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:06:15 -0400
James Fischer wrote:
>>>I've been advocating tracking growing degree-days as a way to nail down
>>>blooms to within a few days for years now, and I've yet to find any other
>>>beekeeper even trying it.  Discouraging.

> Growing degree-days are an accurate way to track blooming dates so
> that predictions can be made that take the weather into account.

In Maine, a couple of apple growers wrote a book on using degree days as
a part of their IPM program for scheduling spraying. They were able to
match the timing of the pests emergence to the degree days and could
spray less with more effect and save money, something apple growers with
slim profit margins could use.

It did not seem to catch on, and the reason is fairly obvious. It takes
time and record keeping and most growers would rather just do the
obvious, which is a set time for pre-emergence spray, look out the
window to see bloom spray, and periodic sprays during the year, by a set
time not by when something may be happening. You can plan your year in
January.

Same with beekeepers. We look out the window and when we see certain
things, we know where we are in the beekeeping year. Or we set certain
times in the year to do certain things. I do that. Extract about the end
of July and October. That is fine for hobby beekeepers, but commercial
beekeepers would be served well to know when the different blooms will
occur, so they can plan more accurately and get the best from their
labor and bees.

It would be interesting to see if our bees also are regulated to any
extent by degree days. It appears it is more the sun's position, but
they may be a factor.

Thanks to all for your encouragement. I certainly need it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine