From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:56:42 EDT
I had the opportunity to hear Dr. H.R. Shimanuki speak in August at
a seminar presented by the Southern Adirondack Beeleepers Association
(blantant SABA plug) hosted at Betterbee in Greenwich, NY.

Dr. Shimanuki addressed the alarming decline in beekeeping, which can be
chalked up to "lies, damn lies and statistics".  If you look at the
stastics over the past 6 or 7 decades you will see a DRASTIC decline in
the number of beekeepers between the 50s and today.  However, what the
figures don't show is that somewhere in that time span (I admit to poor
notes here so I can't give the exact date but my feeble memory seems to
recall it was the 80s) the bean counters/statistic takers decided that they
would only count beekeepers if they had more than 5 (or 10 - feeble memory
again) hives!  So when that decision was made, VIOLA! there was a drastic
drop in beekeepers!  And as Andy will tell you those government people
don't lie ;)  It's true beekeeping isn't as populous as it used to be,
but then again neither is agriculture in general.  However things aren't
as drastic as the "numbers" show and judging by the growth in this list
alone, I doubt there is much to worry about.

Keep them cards and letters comin'!
Aaron Morris