From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:20:26 -0500
Hello All,
Thoughts on CCD.
All involved agree all losses are not CCD. A point always put forth by some
beekeepers. I often wonder why its always still brought up. I think the
point is understood by now. Also with our
current survey system it is impossible to say exactly the numbers of CCD and
normal losses.

Sadly all losses can not be simply explained away from normal causes. Also
the loss numbers are increasing which is different than in years past. Many
of us believe the problem dates back further than when David Hackenberg
asked for the USDA= A RS to look at the problem. Which would mean in my
opinion we are in the 3rd if not forth year of the problem. If so we have
passed the old "disappearing disease" (and other die offs in U.S.
beekeeping history) time frames.

U.S. beekeepers and the U.S. beekeeping industry has always been slow to
react to new global bee problems. I have used to my advantage being able to
be informed on new problems before they arrive.

The old beekeepers and some researchers talk of breeding from survivors has
sent many a beekeeping operations into bankruptcy. A excellent idea for a
queen breeder but a poor idea for the large scale honey producer or
pollinator.
Once the queen breeder has produced the (as an example) foulbrood tolerant
bee (Rothenbuler
said was possible) then we can all raise queens from the line.

Breeding from survivors without a plan in many cases (like varroa) ends up
with hives headed by queens which keep small amounts of brood. Queens which
shut down often creating a form of varroa control. When combined with
hygienic behavior you can get a bee which needs less varroa control. However
when I have taken such queens and used as we do in commercial beekeeping
they ether crash from varroa due to being forced to raise higher amounts of
brood are simply keep a small hive and cost me money to keep around.

As far as I am concerned our U.S. researchers have dropped the ball on
N.ceranae. I read about the problems in Spain. Still we were not told N.
ceranae could be in the U.S.. I read of the vast difference between nosema
apis and nosema ceranae found in Spain. With CCD our researchers decided to
take a look. Guess what? Jeff Pettis says in almost all U.S. commercial
operation N. ceranae has displaced n. apis. Judy Chen has traced the new
nosema back as far as 95/96 ( and she is now looking at samples from 10
years earlier).  Why is this so important? Because we had a huge die off in
95/96 and was simply blamed on mites.

The nosema ceranae is different. Normal nosema apis symptoms are not always
present and mid gut examinations can appear normal. Unilke nosema apis which
has been a big winter issue the nosema ceranae is a problem in summer.
It is my opinion and of many of my friends that the nosemae ceranae is
responsible for a huge amount of the current die offs. Because you can not
simply assume that a dead out which does not show dysentery is free of
nosema ceranae spores I am starting a plan to treat all dead outs removed
from the field with acetic acid before reuse.

I agree nutrition is important for bees. Unlike many beeks I believe natural
fresh pollen is best. However Dave Tarpy looked at the CCD dead outs bees
for a nutrition problem and found no difference in protein levels of the the
CCD bees and the control bees.

Beekeeping is either getting more complicated or we are simply learning how
complicated our bees really are. I think the later. With the nosema ceranae
you will have a hard time seeing the problem without testing. I expect all
beekeepers will get the new nosema within the next few years. Ignoring the
problem has been shown to not work.

The CCD team has turned up some new virus which have never been seen in
bees. Now we have to try and see what role they play in bee health.

 Nosema
ceranae is being compared to nosema apis when in reality it is closer to a
wasp nosema. Yes bees have been on the planet for a very long time but the
bees
are being subjected to different things than ever before. History is full of
different species which have disappeared from the earth. The current
beekeeping research is long past due. Future beekeepers will look back and
thank Dave Hackenberg for bringing attention to our problems ( CCD
included ).

"off to make splits as queens arriving this week from Australia"

Dave Hackenberg and I are splitting an order. He is installing on his
equipment and me on new equipment. The queens Dave is getting are from Terry
Brown ( different Australian package producer than used last year and the
producer I have followed from the first import). Terry brown has constantly
been importing the best queens from around the world to improve his stock.
Buckfast queens and varroa tolerant queens from Italy. Dann Purvis went to
Australia to set up new instrumental insemination equipment and teach the
employees II. He helped the team select breeder queens and inseminate
breeders used last season.

You can not paint all Australian queen producers with the same broad brush
exactly like you can not paint all U.S. queen producers with the same broad
brush.  These queens are being provided free of charge to help Dave get back
on his feet. Two years of losses are serious.

The effects of the current die offs have been reduced thanks to the import.
Commercial beeks need these bees. Australia package producers are running at
capacity. In fact Brown's bees had to turn down orders for around 30 pallets
due to lack of supply. A higher number than last year which indicates a
increase in the die off.

Because of the serious need for these bees by U.S. beekeepers APHIS has said
to all opposed that if you can provide research showing a problem with these
bees then we will look at taking action. Until then the import will
continue.

The same position will happen for say Mexico if the need for those hives
happens. If research show those bees have got the same problems as ours then
the border will open.

bob