From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:37:14 -0400
I just made 20 walks away splits with 1 frame of capped brood, 1 frame of
milk brood, a good shake of bees, 1 frame of honey, 2 frames of wax
foundation, syrup and pollen sub patties.

In my article earlier this year, I described a variety of ways of splitting hives, including the so called "walk away". In my opinion, these need to be much stronger than what you describe. I recommend a strong four frame nuc, with brood and bees to fill. I don't believe that a unit smaller than this will have the resources to raise a decent queen.

By the way, losses on the mating flight are often as high as 50%, which means you are far better off using a mated queen for splits. I made splits at the strength level you describe the first week of June, installed Bee Weaver queens, and fed them till it was obvious they didn't need it any more. Now they are producing a crop of basswood honey, a little over a month later.

They are not full strength colonies yet, but I am betting they will be by the time the goldenrod hits.

LINKS

More Than One Way to Split a hive!
https://cornell.box.com/s/bxchzqr1f6phiztv7p9k

Borst Re-Prints