Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:56:27 -0700
> should one just use "white" fondant like the stuff these folks sell:
> http://www.satinfinefoods.com/ or is there something out there that has
> less colors or flavors?

Again, :fondant" is one of those catch-all words which includes a variety of
products, ranging from a home-made sugar and water mixture which is
specially prepared and poured into shallow trays, to commercial products
containing oils and colours, plus other constituents.

When I used fondant in an experiment, I consulted Rob Currie, and expert on
the subject and had him check out my intended commercial source.  He OKed
one of the several products offered, so I would take it on a case by case
basis. The project and the product can be found somewhere on
honeybeeworld.com, probably from the selected topics menu.

That having been said, above, we are talking commercial, prepared products,
BUT when old-time beekeepers speak of fondant, it is usually understood they
mean 'candy boards'.

The making of bee candy is described in the texts, and the formulae are
pretty much similar.  Some use cream of tartar, though, and that is subject
to controversy.

Nonetheless, the bee candies all seem to work acceptably in their specific
region.

Like dry sugar, use of bee candy is a bit of an emergency measure and an
admission that the beekeeper took too much away or did not feed in time.
Bees which have been short of feed, even for a short while, are handicapped
and no matter what measures are taken to compensate, higher losses and
poorer general hive health in survivors is already baked in the cake.