From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:00:01 -0500
Charles:  "Not a retail issue as I could ever see it."

Over the years of  pollution monitoring, I downplayed the fact that all sorts of contaminants - chemical, physical, biological -end up in honey.  However, from a human health risk perspective, the issue was trivial.

Amounts of almost all contaminants found in beehives are lowest in honey, far below pollen or wax or the bees themselves.  Also, most honey sold in grocery stores is blended, so there is a big dilution factor, and most customers don't eat much honey.   There are exceptions, and I've occasionally had a one-on-one with a specific beekeeper, when I've found something of concern.

Advertising honey as an environmental monitoring endpoint isn't a good idea.  People tend to jump to negative conclusions.  EPA, NRC, DOE, and DOD, and other agencies long ago recognized bee colonies as great environmental sentinel systems.  But it's the total colony, and  of the  parts - the pollen and wax and the bee that best serve the purpose.  However, honey monitoring was and has been more popular in Europe.   So, from a risk viewpoint, honey is a safe product.

However, from a marketing standpoint, it's all about perception.

I remember the Alar scare and apples a couple of decades ago.  Or Johnny Carson's toilet paper frenzy when he joked about a shortage.  And, the market for organic produce requires customer acceptance off less than perfect appearing fruits and vegetables.

Clearly, the vegetarian, vegan, and organic customers will flip out  at the mention of chicken blood.

If I were a commercial beekeeper, I'd worry about a public outcry and shunning of honey, if some blog suddenly announces - CHICKEN BLOOD (SKY IS FALLING) in HONEY!!!

It does not matter whether it's likely to ever show up in honey.  It's the public perception.  Honey is produced from plant materials.  Everyone knows that.  Real honey is natural, pure!

What's animal blood (and then someone will notice egg powder) doing in honey?   And then there will be some idiot who proclaims - MAD CHICKEN DISEASE!!