From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:55:58 -0400

From Dave,
From these results we determined, aggression is not a gene characteristic.
Anthony N Morgan wrote:

> The fundamental biological equation states:--
> Phenotype = Genotype + Environment
> That is observed characteristics are a result of the genetic "blue
> print" in
> the genes plus the external conditions from conception (and maybe before
> ie. the parents state of health)to death. Clearly the early stages of
> life
> have a greater weight in this equality than the later stages of life.
>
> So why, if this is what David is actually saying, should an emergency
> queen and
> As to agression not being genetic I must admit to being puzzled by this.
> Most references
> state quite categorically that agression IS genetic and related to
> racial purity.

From What I have studied the experiments lead us to believe Aggression is
Genetic. I have not seen a study that shows it is not also an environmental
trait.
    Personal observations:
1) When bears attack a hive and the do not have a floor, roof and 4 walls they
are aggressive. Give them smoke and replace the abode, they vary quickly become
gentle. Apparently environmental influence on observed aggression level.

2) Hot, dry drought conditions with earth of nectar/pollen, aggressive bees. The
next week after the rains and nectar is present, gentle bees. etc. Apparently
environmental influence on observed aggression level.

Ok, we get the hint. But, you say, this is not the true "genetic influence", but
a stimulated response.

Exactly. Female bees produce alarm pheromone, and we do not know of all the
various pheromones in use. Dr. Fell and his assistants at VA Tech are doing work
on Queen pheromone in excretia. Perhaps there is a pheromone that is released by
some queens when glands are uder/overdeveloped in different amounts than
"normal" that cause the aggressive behavior. the response by the worker bees is
still genetically passed on. Perhaps the t triggering of the alarm response can
also be passed in several different ways by the queen.

Perhaps not as coherent as it could be, I am at work and do not have time to
properly edit. You get the idea.

Thom Bradley
Chesapeake, VA