From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:04:24 -0800
At 02:39 AM 12/16/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how they get around Texas laws that state anything
>labeled "honey" has to be pure honey?  ...or is this a completely
>different deal?

In California this is true a product other then Pure Honey can not be
labeled as Honey and nothing can be added to that Honey. This is good but
it makes "cut comb Honey" a problem, and all honey blends such as cinnamon
Honey, fruit and Honey, and artificial flowers added to honey all of which
have been good sellers in the past but removed from sale when found in
California. I don't know what they do today with cut comb honey as it is
popular in the Hispanic section of many grocery stores and I only assume
the regulatory authorities look the other way and pretend it is a "product
of Mexico".

Labeling laws here are such that products that contain Honey are not
allowed to be marketed in such a way that they are confused with the real
thing. This is mostly done by requiring the part of the label that contains
the word honey to be smaller then the part that indicates the true nature
of the product.

In any case these kind of laws require some diligence by consumers and if
the consumers do not complain many times a mis labeled product will be
allowed or missed so it is very critical that any product found to be mis
labeled or mis represented be brought to the attention of the regulatory
authorities. In California this is the same bunch of nice people who
regulate Honey Bees and have seen in the past nothing wrong with killing
them all to prevent some perceived pest such as T-Mites, "killer" ants, and
the like so you know where their heads are.

Chow, the OLd Drone
http://beenet.com

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!