From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:09:32 -0400
On 19-Oct-11, at 11:51 PM, allen wrote:

> Was it the weather, the bees, the treatments, the beekeeper?...

Hi Allen and all

This summer was the closest to what we used to call a normal summer
than any of the previous three except that we had no rain at all for
several weeks in July.  The bees were overwintered strong hives that
were split in June and again in early July.  My normal treatments for
varroa are mite-wipe pads in autumn followed up by oxalic dribble
later, nothing in spring.  Beekeeper is the same old clown except one
year older who decided no formic treatments this autumn, going to
depend on oxalic later.  Several beeks in my local area, including
the U of Guelph,  have found lower than normal mite levels this
year.  One theory was: because we had heavy losses last winter, the
mites resident in those hives also died lowering the local population
of varroa.  Who knows?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada