From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:17:32 -0500
>MAQs were applied the first week of August, and then again Sept 20. Unfortunately, due to work and family stuff, I never got back to check mites again in October.

Pete, you are a stalwart on this list and I sincerely admire your contributions and dedication, but enough of the feel good stuff. From my experience the colony in question collapsed from the varroa/virus complex in a very typical and predictable way. We all need to rethink varroa thresholds in my opinion. Once mite levels reach a level that virus transmission is widespread that colony will have a very difficult season and poor prognosis for winter survival without intense and early intervention. Until such time as we have a practical virus (DWV) test that we beeks can easily use we can only extrapolate from varroa levels and visual inspection. A varroa level above 2% any time except late summer is cause for great concern. Even then the count must be brought down fast and in time for a couple generations of uninfected bees to prepare for winter. I would guess that your colony was infected with DWV beyond repair in spring or early summer and with an infestation of 4% in Sept was a "dead colony buzzing" I don't know how long it takes for established DWV to cleaqr but it is not quick.

My protocol is to keep mites <1% from post fall treatment until supering in early May. That is an early winter OX dribble, early spring Apavar, and Dry-Loc formic pads post harvest. All followed by mite counts to confirm efficacy.  I may change with the new OX glycerine method. Any colony that starts to get away (>3%) gets immediate treatment and a new queen even though I know that often it is not her fault. For any who doubt this I suggest that you try it on a yard or colony and see if it makes a difference.

Of course the coal is to breed queens that can control mites on there own. Randy and other dedicated scientists have good cause to experiment and let mites levels range in their selection process and I will be the first in line, check book in hand, on that happy day when mite resistant queens are available. Until then I say that to be successful we honey producers and pollinators need to control mites aggressively.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA