From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:18:02 -0700
> Allen posted in his Diary yesterday, December 24, 2003: I heard today,
> from Heather, that CHC has decided to push for oxalic approval,
> covering both evaporation and drizzling treatments."

Apparently, these treatments are approved in Europe and, so, much, if not
all, of the work required to get them approved in North America has already
been done.  My understanding is that the Canadian Honey Council (CHC)
figures they need about $30,000 CAD ($22,500 US) to get the approval done in
Canada.  The money is needed to get access to the European papers,
consulting, translations, etc.

CHC is approaching beekeepers to raise the money, and although each
beekeeper stands to save a minimum of $3 per hive per year -- oxalic costs
2c per hive per treatment compared to strips at anywhere from $3 to 5 per
hive per year -- nobody seems to be rushing in to contribute, yet, anyhow.

There is one pharmaceutical company that is currently prepared to invest its
own funds, but CHC feels the industry needs to take charge of the approvals.
The reasons for this position are obvious: When corporate sponsors obtain
approvals, the approval is specifically for their proprietary method of
application or formulation, rather than for generic formulations or
application methods.  Although people have been getting away with using
using generic versions of formic treatment, for example, with the new
procedure accounting procedures that are coming in, using such cost saving
tricks will require committing actual fraud in record keeping, and no longer
be simply something that is not mentioned, ignored or overlooked.

Proprietary formulations or applicators are usually marked up very
considerably over the cost of the active ingredient.  Consider Apistan and
Checkmite+: Each of these products contains only pennies worth of the active
ingredient, but sell for dollars.  We'd hate to see that happen with oxalic,
especially since the work has been done and there is no need for proprietary
formulations or applicators.

Although CHC is approaching beekeepers, it will be interesting to see what
happens.  Canadian beekeepers amaze me; even if they themselves will each
save $5,000 every year -- starting as soon a s approval is arranged -- some
I've talked to (many) won't kick in $1,000 (tax deductible) or two to make
it happen, UNLESS the all the other beekeepers agree to pay first, and they
are sure that everyone pays, since others stand to benefit from the results.
Everyone waits to see if someone else will step forward first.  Duh!.

The example of the US beekeepers in contributing faithfully to the
anti-dumping on the hope of a future result, and other similar projects,
should serve as an inspiration, I hope.  Progress in the world has always
depended on a few with vision making an investment to benefit the many.
Nothing is ever accomplished by waiting for the other guy to do it.

Anyhow, I am sure the money will be raised -- somehow.  Maybe US and
Canadian beekeepers and organisations can work together to develop a case to
present to all the various governments, and share the cost.  The project is
now underway and just needs a little money.  I'm sure Heather would be happy
to share and/or coordinate things.

Oxalic is a cheap and safe treatment, with little risk of product
contamination or harm to the operator.  It is about as effective as any of
the non-Apistan and non-Checkmite+ methods have been found to be.  Used with
the new strains of mite-tolerant bees, oxalic may be all that is required
for most of the time in the near future.  Moreover, we can be fairly certain
that the mites won't become resistant to oxalic soon.

We need some forward-looking beekeepers to step up and pledge money (how
about $2.50 a hive?) to get the thing rolling.  My $2.50 for my 50 hives
isn't going to be enough.  If you are a mover and shaker, and not one of
those who waits for someone else to do the job for you, visit
http://www.honeycouncil.ca and drop Heather a line, or phone 403-208-7141.

Let's get the show on the road!

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/

PS Be sure to add http://www.honeycouncil.ca to your bookmarks.  It is a
good source of news and other information regarding beekeeping topics.  The
site is on a new format, and you have to hunt a bit, but there is a lot
there, including information of the new HACCP-based procedures for honey
house operation in Canada.