From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:52:11 -0400
Yet another set of symptoms
As you know my bees have ccd
Let's call this mid-fall crash

I'm sure a few more are waiting in
the wings but this is the first for 08

Why this particular hive I don't know
There are others that should have higher exposure
or exibit more overt symptoms (malaise, lack of production)

By the time I got there it was robbed out
(mostly) but it appeared normal all thru Sept
No bees on BB, just wax bits
On 8 brood frames 20-100+ dead, avg ~ 40
90% coloured pupae or emergents
A few dead larvae 3+d, a few chalk but whiter,
a few chewed, a few apparently full of royal jelly???
Gobs of propolis around flight holes, 3" D
(most of my boxes have 3/4" hole & plug)
This happened the first week of Oct

I get the feeling that they really dislike
cleaning out pupae corpses,
could they be full of virus?
Can they sense this?? Smell?

So formic is no guarantee