From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2015 16:56:48 -0500
Kathyrn:

"If I have to be a commodity farmer following one very smallsubset of chemically intensive practices before my opinions will be valued, thenI may as well drop out now."

Aaron's diligent moderation of this list keeps it more civil than some list-servers, but we all fail at times.  I for one hope that you remain and continue to contribute your expertise.

This list was formed to encourage informed discussions.  Sometimes these get a bit heated; and sometimes the posts are less than informed.  But over the long-term, lots of useful information does come to light, and this list tends to be self-correcting.

Don't feel alone or picked upon.  Considering that Bee-L originated at Cornell, I found it particularly dismissive recently when those of us who are from an academic background were called repeatedly called eggheads and talked about like we weren't part of the list.

Academic ivory towers aside, some of us do get our hands dirty, have spent a lot of time working outside with actual bee colonies and beekeepers, and presumably have something to add to the Discussion.  If nothing else, eggheads started this list.

Labels have no place in these discussions. Hobby, small scale, sustainable, side-line, commercial, migratory, researcher - we all have a vested interest in these discussions, and I've yet to find a true beekeeper who doesn't care about his or her bees.

Jerry