Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 08:31:22 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
> By the way Tylosin is only register for use in few countries and residues in honey is considered a violation.

I realize that, but we can discuss these matters openly. Working as a NYS inspector, I ran into a guy who was dosing his colonies regularly with tylosin to control foulbrood. He was old and had turned the job over to one of his sons. The son slacked off and half the colonies broke down with AFB. 

Evidently, he had picked up the practice from the previous NYS bee inspector, who had "educated him" on the use of antibiotics. Using antibiotics continually made perfect sense to him, because his main occupation was dairy. He told me if he didn't use antibiotics in his dairy, he'd lose the herd. So, to him it was the same with the bees. 

This, of course, is a cautionary tale. But each person will no doubt draw a different conclusion from it. Some would say  "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." Others would suggest that he just wasn't diligent enough. For my part, I am going to pass on the editorializing, stating only: "Walk a mile in his shoes."

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2