From:
Robert Engelhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:22:18 -0700
Ed Costanza wrote:
> Over a week ago at our annual NM beekeepers conference the subject about
> using smoke to control or knock down varroa came up.  One of our beekeepers  who
> has been using different methods to control varroa said that the most
> effective method he has come up with is using the bark of the juniper tree in  his
> smoker.  He said 20 puffs in his hives every few days (for 21 days)
Not to start a battle of wills, but I what I had in my notes from that
meeting was 40 puffs, not 20. However, I suppose it can differ a great
deal depending on the size of the smoker used. I think the idea is to
have enough so the hive is obviously filled, yet not to the point that
suffocates the bees. Also, at the earlier spring seminar here in NM, it
was mentioned that all parts of the juniper are equally as effective.
Though take what I have to say with a grain of salt, as I've never used
the above mentioned method.