From:
Les Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 22:58:06 -0500
I just found the source for that factoid.  The PBS Nova program (it's run
twice that I know of) has details and a transcript on the Internet.  Here's
the fact page: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bees/buzz.html

Among the facts:
The average American consumes a little over one pound of honey a year.
In the course of her lifetime, a worker bee will produce 1/12th of a
teaspoon of honey.
To make one pound of honey, workers in a hive fly 55,000 miles and tap two
million flowers.

They quote their source thus: Maureen Dolan, NOVA Online's intern, worked
with a bee researcher from the University of Massachusetts Boston in the
summer of 1998.