From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2015 11:25:00 -0500
At one time, in the Crafts and Trades Era, owning and running a business was what it took to be considered a Master. There were unskilled tradesmen who owned businesses whose name was noted in the Guild Books as Master.

Just two days ago Preston Jones, Master Silversmith, Colonial Williamsburg, was talking to a school group of young women about this very fact. Whereas women in the 18th Century did Apprentice to tradesmen, it was not that common. Preston talked about a woman whose husband had been a Master Silversmith when he died. She became the Master of the shop upon his death. She married and outlived several more Silversmith husbands.

If Trades were that important in beekeeping in America today, just about anyone who owns and runs a beekeeping business could call themselves a Master Beekeeper. So, to me, it's not so much what you know, but what you do that counts.

Therefore, especially since my beekeeping skills are not always that great, I don't call myself a Master Beekeeper. I don't mind if others do.