From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2015 21:05:50 -0500

> We know  bees can't survive on canola honey due to being hard. Despite too
> much canola  honey stored in hives bees die from starvation.
>
> Here in the UK the bees, Apis mellifera mellifera, must have wintered largely on crystallised ivy honey  since
> we became an island and the ice retreated about 20,000 years ago.

Brother Adam also wrote about bees wintering poorly on ling/heather honey.  I am not sure if that is due to hardness or higher particulate content.  In this area it seems to be commonly accepted that wintering on fall honey (goldenrod,aster, buckwheat) can be hard on bees due to the higher particulate content and lack of elimination flights due to the cold winters.

Adam
Barrie, ON.