From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2018 18:46:11 -0500
The Audubon torpedo baffles will not stop mice if mounted on a standard garden pole.  The average mouse is small enough to easily fit through the gap between the pole and the hole in the baffle.  Might work if you mounted it on an custom-designed pole that was sized to match the hole at the top.

Even then, the baffle is 16 inches tall and you need to mount it on the pole well above the level that the animal can just jump to.  So your total hive stand height would be, what, 3 feet or so?  Seems like it would be difficult to work the upper supers at that height.

At risk of sounding flippant, my best recommendation would be get a cat.  Let her knock the total population down so there are fewer mice in the area that want to infest your hives.  A good barn cat that stays outside - or at least, goes outside every day.

If you're not willing to go that route, I've never seen barriers on the hive stand be effective.  I have seen success from folks who stapled hardware cloth (wire mesh) onto the hive at every opening or gap.  No bigger than 1/4", though.  A field mouse will squeeze right through the 1/2" rat-wire.

​Mike Rossander