From:
Deann Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 12:19:57 +1200
> Do they actually eat the wax, or the cocoons and pollen.  They are much more
>interested in comb that has had brood in it.

I'd go so far as to say they are only interested in comb that has brood cocoons
and pollen in it. :)    no shortage of wax moths around here in a mild climate,
but I can happily store honey comb without it getting infested, as long as
there's no cocoons or pollen in it.  They certainly aren't targetting the wax
for eating - it's just an incidental to getting to their real food source.

Nutritionally it's primarily the cocoons they are after, but I'd suggest in many
cases there's a fair bit of pollen saturation in the cocoons and vice versa,
particularly in dead-out hive where the bees haven't been there
to control temperature.  If that saturation meant they were unable to access the
nutrition in wax-saturated cocoons,  they wouldn't be nearly so successful at
cleaning up abandoned hives - to the moths' detriment and the bees'.

regards
Deanna Corbett