From:
CAMERON SKINNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 14:35:38 EST5EDT
John Oldfather wrote:

> At a recent meeting of the Ohio State Beekeepers Association, Dr. Jim Tew was
> the keynote speaker.  He asked the participants how many had lost >50% of
> their hives; a third of the group raised their hands.  He then asked how many
> had no losses and 15-20% responded.  I am curious if the Bee-L subscribers
> have had similar experiences.  Does the use of Apistan or other medication
> correlate with winter hive survival?
>
> I use Apistan prophyllactically, but I know many who don't.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> John Oldfather

Howdy Folks,

   Well I can't speak for others but I have had a very successful first
winter.  I started the winter with five hives.  Four went into the
winter on two deep supers full of honey and syrup.  The last hive was
put together in late July from a queen and some brood from the other
hives.  This hive went into the winter in a single deep super.  All
the hives were treated with Apistan at the recommended dosage.  After
the strips were removed the hives were insulated with 1.5" Stryofoam
and wrapped in tar paper.  We didn't have very much snow cover this
winter and I did see bees occasionally flying around on very warm
days.  We, the bees and I, live a few miles from the Vermont - New York
border on the Canadian side.
   Last week when I had the opportunity to open the hives I found
that the four large hives had wintered quite well.  Three of the four
hives had 3-5 frames of brood going.  I couldn't see what was going
on in the fourth because the queen was using the bottom super for the
brood nest.  I didn't dare disassemble the hive for fear of chilling
the brood at this critical stage.  The fifth hive wintered poorly and
only had enough bees to cover about 3 frames and only had about 2/3
of a frame of brood.
I fed all of the hives pollen substitute and am feeding the weak hive
syrup.  The other hives still have several frames of honey and have
found some source of nectar.

Hope you're having a good Spring
Cameron.

/   Question for the day:                           /
/   Do witches run spell checkers?                  /
/   Cameron Skinner      [log in to unmask]  /
/   McGill University                               /
/   Room 221 Otto Mass Chemistry Bldg.              /
/   801 Sherbrooke St. West                         /
/   Montreal, Quebec, Canada                        /
/   H3A-2K6                                         /
/   Tel.   514-398-6231                             /