From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:10:11 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

most  people in the world are fed by farmers
who save seed for next years  crop.  Try saving GMO seed and watch the
corporate lawyers  descend.

A message was circulated some weeks ago, I think from the BBKA, that HRH's
office was totally overwhelmed with all the donated honey and they had no easy
way of passing it on to the needy and so people were asked to send no  more.
He has bees of his own anyway!

I know far too little about GMOs to comment sensibly on whether or not they
will save the World; however, there is much concern that patent laws are being
 applied to living organisms, or parts of them, that have been used as food
or  medicine by indigenous people for generations and this is reportedly being
made illegal.  Also, as Bob will know in Canada, Monsanto has pursued in  the
Courts farmers who have been the unwitting and unwilling recipients of GM
pollen which contaminated their own cherished seed-lines.

One problem with the 'Round up ready' gene is that after sowing seeds
containing it, the farmer's next action is to treat the field with Round up, a
broad leaved herbicide.  This means that ONLY the desired crop will crow in  that f
ield for that year at least.  If it is a crop that is of benefit to  insect
life, including honeybees, then there will be a local boom and bust as a
desert is created when the brief flowering period is over.  I understand  from a
lecture delivered yesterday by Dewey Caron at the National Honey Show  that
there is much concern in N. America at the decline in native pollinators  and the
'round up ready' gene was cited as one of the causes.

Chris