From:
Your Real Name <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:41:00 -0400
> > take a honey container/bucket that you can close airtight,
> > connect a vacuum pump to the container,let it work for 8 hours.....
> > the water moisture of the honey will be  5 % LOWER.
> > No influence on HMf or enzyme,little affect on the taste

> ...consider that water is not the only fluid in the bucket that will
> be affected by the reduction in pressure.  You are likely to lose the most
> precious, the most volatile, the most ephemeral of essences: the subtle
> differences in bouquet and flavour...

My opinion is a little different to yours.

Please allow me to explain, CSlade777-san...

I understand that vacuum has been the method of choice for removing water
from honey for some time.  No matter what the method, natural drying in the
hive, air circulation in a hot room equipped with a drier, or vacuum
pumping, the volatiles should be about equally vulnerable to loss into the
atmosphere.

In the hive, bees move air past the open cells, and the most volatile
things are prone to leave first.   The same ocurs in a hot room.  When
reducing the atmospheric pressure in a vessel, as proposed, I should think
that the proportions of things given off would not change much, if at all.
Although it seems somewhat counterintuitive, I suspect the quality will not
suffer any more than in natural drying.

Following this line of thought, I should mention that I saw a rather
sophisticated machine at Apimondia designed to do exactly the task in
question, and to handle fairly large volumes of honey each day.  Seems to
me it was at the Dadant booth.  I was told that this unit -- rather than
using a conventional vacuum pump which gets clogged up with honey stuff --
creates vacuum by using a water jet (venturi).

FWIW, in the experiment that Jan mentions, a vacuum cleaner might or might
not not provide sufficient suction, but also might overheat due to lack of
air throughput.  As he said, a vacuum pump would be required.  The other
question of course is whether the bucket would stand the compression or
buckle over time.  I also wonder how well the moisture would migrate up
through a full bucket of honey.

allen
----

PS: As one who has sold a lot of honey into Japan, been subjected to visits
by Japanese customers, and studied a little history, I think maybe there is
a tendancy to romanticise a society which has proven to be brutal and
abusive in its own way.  Excessive politeness is a popular and subtle way
of being rude in Japan, as it is in England.  People are people, and all
peoples have their own ways of tormenting one another.

Be that as it may, I agree very much with you and suggest that, in addition
to being careful what one writes, people must be careful what they read.

By that I mean that they should be very careful what they read into
things.  What people get out of something depends very largely on who they
are themselves.

What people see in what is written says a lot about them.  Maybe more than
it says about the writer.

I often get email retorts that are based on faulty reading of an article
and completely miss the point of what I have written.  It is not uncommon
for some to put words into my mouth that are the opposite of what I have
carefully said.  I'm used to it and have come to find it predictable.

After many years, I figure that those who want to be offended will be
offended and those who want peace will find peace -- anywhere.

Amen