From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:40:46 -0400
Keith Malone wrote:

> When ya gotta go ya gotta go, meaning the bees or the honey? Or are you
> speaking of going to the little boys room? Just Kidding!!

Yes.

> I will take that grew your own means past tense so you no longer breed your
> own. So now you bring in someone else's bees in your location, not keeping a
> local stock?

Yes and no. Grew my own this year, but not last year.

> I don't know but, there could have been other factors involved in you
> success and there loses.

Always true but I go with results, which was when I shifted I got more
honey by a factor of 3-4+. That has been consistent over they years and
those who harvest in September still average about 20lbs a colony.

> Science is not to be disputed.

Science always tests itself. So not true.

I have heard of but not seen of studies that
> say the opposite. I did read of one article, in the last year in ABJ, that
> was recommending honey over sugar and hcfs. I guess it all depends on who
> you listen to, and really though, how you manage the bees and the queens.

Did not see the article, but the one that I saw that shows honey is
better was for the long term use by bees, not just overwintering.

I am really not trying to sell anything here. To each his own.

There is one truth I have garnered from this list. Anecdotal evidence
trumps science every time. Which is why we have lost so many
researchers. Not worth their time trying to defend themselves when their
evidence is based on research and the opposition is anecdotal.

I used techniques recommended and used by experienced and knowledgeable
Beekeepers and their advice worked. I also found that science backed up
their advice.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine