From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:50:07 -0800

> We got ourselves into this with one of the trade treaties we signed.
> Basically, we no longer can ban imports without a very good reason
   This may be true,but I keep wondering why anyone here in the USA would
want New Zealand bees.Judging from reports coming from there,they are in
the first stages of varroa and virus annihilation of their bee stocks.In a
few years when they have some survivor stock,their bees could be a valuable
asset.But for now,IMHO,imports should be limited to strains that can
contribute something positive in the way of disease and pest resistance.We
already have too many strains of susceptible bees here now.I think time has
just about run out for easy control of varroa with strips.
 I also wonder if all their bee viruses have been identified,since varroa
tends to turn any minor virus into an epidemic.
----Mike(who has seen way too many 'good' bees wiped out)