From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:01:54 +0200
<For any European beekeepers on the list, do you have significant nosema
problems and how do you deal with them?

This is a question I have been thinking for 2 years. I work as an advicer
for beekeeping. Reading Bee-L I have wondered what can I say if nosema
starts to come up more often here in Finland. We have had nosema ceranae for
many years, but it is still not spread to most of the colonies. My own bees
for example had spring 2008 mixed infection of n. apis and ceranae. But
numbers are low and we haven’t seen extensive losses expect for just some
individual beekeepers.

Fumidil was used 10 – 15 years back, but then it was not recommended because
of possible residues. When the product was pulled out of EU market because
it did not have official mrl (minimum residue level) values our beekeepers
reacted because they did not use it here. Some use acetic acid fumigation,
but maybe less than 10 – 20 % of them. That I recommend if problems are
seen.

I believe that one important reason for few problems is that comb rotation
is a norm here. Almost all beekeepers melt all black combs and replace with
foundations. Only light brown and those not used for brood at all are left
for next year.

We have had annual surveys about winter mortality for more than 20 years..
They have not changed much in last 4 years, about 10 - 15 %.. Now we have
started more detailed studies of winter losses, that also include bee
samples and nosema tests. It will be interesting to see in future the
differences in bee losses with apiarys with n. ceranae and n. apis.

Ari Seppälä

Finland