From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:20:11 -0500
>Ok it might be possible, but it is much, much more likely that you get your
>AFB
from neighbor beekeeper.

 Or from your own equipment if careful inspecting and proper controls (such
as culling) are not taking.
Clearing an operation of AFB without the use of antibiotics (*if* the
problem is widespread through the yard) can take years.

Efforts by my friend Dan Purvis years ago to develop a line of bees which
would handle AFB were only moderately successful. I personally would have
burned the whole yard but I saw the benefit in Dan's research. His research
was based on the hypothesis of Rothenbuler that AFB tolerant bees could be
bred.
My friend Steve Tabor also experimented with the subject. Both these people
have my respect as researchers and did see some success but not the bee
Rothernbuler said could be bred. Both used instrumental insemination and
exact records which is not used by the average beekeeper in his research.

>Anyone know any proven case of infecting a colony with foundations ?

I think *old* research can be found of such research (Peter?) as we were
told in the fifties trying to recycle such comb would only make clearing
apiaries of AFB harder AND the hypothesis was based on research on making
foundation from AFB combs. Burning was only allowed in certain states with
only scorched boxes allowed to be reused.

Beekeepers fought the burning of comb.

bob