Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:54:31 -0400
Report
I had a little time on my hands, so I registered with "New YorK" and made a comment.  Hope I got my facts right :)

BY ALLENDICK on 10/10/2010 at 8:50pm

As a beekeeper who was one of the first to express concerns about neonicotinoids years ago long before the issue came to the fore, as one who has no love for pesticides, and as a good friend of Jerry's, I have to say that this article and even more so the Fortune article are among the lowest I've seen written on any topic that I know anything about.

His research has nothing to do with neonicotinoids (Imidacloprid). None of us are suggesting neonicotinoid exposure is good for bees, but that is another subject.

What he and his group found is some pathogens which are relatively new to North America and how they appear, under some circumstances, to be the proximate cause of the unexplained bee deaths known as CCD. Simultaneous unpublished large scale practical work in Canada has established independently that controlling those two pathogens reduces bee losses to normal, while leaving them uncontrolled often leads to sudden and massive losses.

Not only was the Montana work carefully done and rigorously juried by a sometimes hostile group of competing scientists, who finally accepted it for inclusion in a prestigious scientific publication, but the work was done without any of the millions of dollars distributed to other CCD researchers -- and it was done without any money from Bayer as falsely suggested. (Where did that idea come from anyhow)?

I suggest that you contact Dr. Bromenshenk personally for the 'true' facts and prepare to write a retraction and apology, and maybe a new, fact-based article exploring the possibilities these discoveries offer.