From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2015 10:09:30 -0400
> Note that most all other segments of agriculture have backpedaled away from organophosphates.

I believe the reason for the reduction in organophosphate use is cancellation of registration, not voluntary "back pedaling" by Agriculture.

> Because of their common mode of toxicity as potent acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) selected organophosphorus (OP) insecticides as the first class of pesticides for reassessing food tolerances. The chemical-specific assessments of nearly all of the OP pesticides were completed by August 2006, resulting in the cancellation of the residential uses of all but a few OP pesticides (U.S. EPA 2006a).

> Since passing the FQPA, total use of OP pesticides in the United States increased between 1996 and 1999 from 75 to 91 million pounds per year, mainly because of the U.S. Department of Agriculture cotton boll weevil eradication program, but decreased to 46 million pounds by 2004 (Grube et al. 2011). Residential use of OP pesticides may have declined more quickly, largely because of the voluntary cancellation of residential uses of chlorpyrifos and diazinon in 2000.

>  It should be noted that exposure to OP pesticides continues, as a substantial number of crop-specific agricultural uses remain. There has been a substantial decrease in the urinary concentration of DAP metabolites associated with chlorpyrifos and diazinon, whose use in indoor environments has been substantially curtailed. This suggests that residential use was a primary pathway of exposure for these chemicals prior to their phaseout, as little change in agricultural use of these OP pesticides has occurred.

Clune, A. L., Ryan, P., & Barr, D. B. (2012). Have regulatory efforts to reduce organophosphorus insecticide exposures been effective?. Environmental health perspectives, 120(4), 521-525.