From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:10 -0600

> Is there a maximum limit to the HMF in honey in the USA?

I really do not know. Honey several years old sold to packers is not
uncommon.

About the current USDA CCC loan process:

A friend in Nebraska sold 200 drums to Sioux Bee ( never has used the loan
process) last week and the subject of HMF did not come up but the honey was
sampled. All packers today sample and do some testing. When I sold to
packers each year the packer always sampled each drum and tested in his lab.
I had sent a random sample before delivery but the lab tested on delivery.

The large packers always have a lab and  lab people. The USDA always tested
honey when the honey could be forfeited. No sampling is done for CCC loan
today mainly because all you are getting is a loan of about two thirds of
the value of the honey WITH INTEREST. Forfeiture is not possible.

The loan limit I believe is $125,000 which is small compared to the loan
limits for other crops.

Only very small packers honey and small beekeepers honey is usually not
tested. Most store honey was tested during the three years honey was on the
FDA honey watch. I never heard of any problems. I think U.S. packer honey is
very safe.

The U.K. and Canada pride themselves for their imported honey inspection but
for how many years did the people of both countries consume honey tainted
with chloramphenical ( spelling?). Guesses range to over a decade. However
as Jim Fischer pointed out on this list the PPM was so slight he doubted
health problems would ever occur but still any amount to the purest is too
much.

Our contamination in the U.S. has come from China and Argentina in the form
of U.S. banned antibiotics. I am no chemist but really can not see *huge*
health risks from HMF levels and see mainly as a way to stop the flow of
imported honey into the U.K. rather than a safety issue.

bob

--
believed to be clean.