From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:28:12 -0800
>Can anyone comment on what's the issue with cornstarch in powdered sugar
(6X or 10X would be the baker's designation)?

Jeff, I think that the concern is much overstated.  Pollen contains starch,
and bees are able to digest a certain amount just fine.  In fact a recent
paper demonstrated how drones could digest starch as an energy source for
flight.

The problem with starch would be if excessive starch were left undigested in
the gut, such that microbes could grow on it.  I have never personally nor
in the literature seen any evidence that the small amount of starch in
confectioner's sugar causes any problems to bees when they have any sort of
free flight.

Note that many pollen substitute formulas contain plenty of starch--barley
flour in Megabee, quinoa flour, or other flours.  Also note that many beeks
use marshmallows (coated with starch) for queen candy.

Randy Oliver