From:
Shannon Leer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:15:27 -0400
There is a proposed silica mine plant less than 500 yds from my residence. Does anyone have any info on the effects of silica dust on honeybees from pollen and nectar contamination.  I'm worried it can cause damage to the bees stomach proboscis, honey sac, etc. Also I am concerned about the effects of the mine blasting. At my residence is where I run mating nucs that I create using cells.  Will this blasting have any effect on the acceptance of queens when they hatch, fly back from mating or while they are in the hive. I've found many studies on these effect to home values, health(silicosis), well water, plant growth, noise pollution, light pollution, etc. but I can't find any studies on the effects on honey bees.  Any and all information will be much appreciated. Any sources and possible contacts for information will be helpful to.

Shannon Leer/Leer Family Honey Farm
http://lvnwp.yolasite.com/