From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:08:19 -0500
>I said he used fumagillin repeatedly but his bees tanked anyway. I didn't
>say they tanked because of Nosema. I would assume that was NOT the cause.

Fumigillin is only effective and used for nosema. *repeatedly* sounds like
the
drench method which is the method Dr. Eric Mussen UC Davis recommends for
severe and hard to cure cases of nosema ceranae.
Dr. Mussen spoke at the Missouri State Beekeepers meeting and gave us many
pointers on "living with nosema ceranae". Four pages of notes.

Beekeepers need a more effective treatment for nosema than fumigillin. The
product is too expensive and results vary.

Not sure why fumigillin is not as effective as the maker *says* the formula
is the same as always and it could be that nosema ceranae is simply harder
to control with fumigillin than nosema apis was.

Another area where research funding could have been put to good use!

bob