From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:31:16 -0600
When we are handling bees in bulk -- such as the bees on the honey
house windows, we have found that thin sugar syrup usually  works
much better than straight  water or smoke to calm the bees and to
reduce running.  A little vanilla helps too.

In bulk bees a problem arises if it is hot;  a lot of spraying is
needed and the bees will get sticky if much sugar is used in
comparison to water, and sometimes straight water proves to be best.

When using a spray in a hive or nuc,  it is important to avoid
spraying into the cells containing brood for fear of killing them in
a manner similar to that which ocurs when dust from icing sugar/TM
mix gets into cells.

Also, the idea is usually not to drench the bees.  A little water in
a fine mist goes a long way.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>