From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:22:27 +0000
Hi All

I have to admit that I'm perplexed and saddened by some of the debate taking place on Bee-L.

> And could it be the reason these organizations campaign
> against industrialized agriculture is because farmers are
> not an important part of their dues paying membership base?

On this side of the pond it is assumed that the diversity of nature - in our managed areas on farms and everywhere else - is a *good thing*.  Aesthetic and heritage reasons are usually to the fore, but economic justification ('pollination services', for example) are also part of the mix.  The great majority of the public supports the idea that the ideal environment is one where there is a place for wild species to thrive, and that altering farming practise and other types of management of the land to this end is a desirable aim.  Agricultural economic support is tending more and more to go in the direction of encouraging this attitude.  Even amongst farmers you would have difficulty these days finding one that would be hostile to the idea of managing land sympathetically for native pollinators.  Most are enthusiastic conservationists themselves.

So is the issue in the US really as polarised as Paul C implies, or are we hearing here from an insignificant part of the US agricultural community hanging on to outdated views that have largely disappeared?

all the best

Gavin