From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:47:49 -0000
>> "Columella tells us," says he, "that the inhabitants of Arabia sent their
> hives into Attica to benefit by the later-blowing flowers." Annually are
> the
> hives, in immense pyramids, carried up the Nile in boats, and suffered to
> float slowly down the stream by night, resting by day, as the flowers put
> forth along the banks; and they determine the richness of any locality,
> and
> so the profitableness of delay, by the sinking of the boat in the water.

May I just thank all those who tried to help me find beekeepers in the Luxor
area?  Apparently, despite the quote above, there is no beekeeping around
Luxor - it is all in Lower Egypt (perhaps why the bee was the symbol of
Lower Egypt).
We saw plenty of bees, but they were all hieroglyphs!

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/