From:
Albert W Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 14:32:02 -0400
Some time back there was a discussion about using these
blowers to melt cappings prior to extraction.

I came across a good 1/2 price small unit on sale at a local
hardware store. Thought I would try it out on supers taken off
my two hives.

Results:

Does a good job melting the cappings. You do need to watch
that you don't melt everything down into some kind of new
honey/wax product.

It is a slower operation than heating up a knife and I am not
too sure that you end up getting as much honey out of the comb.

The only real plus that I can see is that you end up with less wax
mixed up with the extracted honey-if that makes a difference to
you. And of course there is much less wax to mess with after
straining.

Overall, it is a little less messier operation, but I would not reccomend
running out and buying one of these units unless you have some
other bonafide uses for the tool.

Al,

 [log in to unmask] - Scituate,MA,USA
           Cerberus - Three Sites In One