From:
Richard E Leber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:17:49 -0600
On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:00:47 -0600 Bob Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> What happens next?  Three steps need to be taken:
> Step 1: The current leadership of the American Bee Federation
> should resign immediately.   The new leadership should immediately
> negotiate with the American Honey Producers to join into one national
> beekeepers's organization.

Could this revelation be extended to the pending results of our
Presidential election?...Let the party that fails to "win" the White
House forfeit their seats in congress, withdraw support from their
leadership and yield to a single party government.  NO, it won't and
shouldn't happen in either case.

> The national leadership has an opportunity to bring about badly
> needed change in our industry. But, the old animosities and the injured
egos will have to be set aside
> for the good of the industry.

There will continue to be different opinions from within the industry.
The pie is small and there are many slices...beekeeper
(hobbyist-sideliner-commercial), queen breeder & package bee shipper,
honey producer, packer, retailer, researcher, equipment manufacturer and
supplier.  It would be to the benefit of the entire industry to present a
united position to the general public and government agencies.  As a
small producer newer to our industry than "the old animosities and the
injured egos" I would celebrate a closer relationship but not a marriage
between the major industry organizations.

> Step 2: This new National organization should support wholeheartedly
> the anti-dumping lawsuits against Argentina and China initiated by the
> Sioux Honey Association and the American Honey Producers.

This expression of self preservation will be expensive.  When the first
round with China succeeded, Argentina moved into the fill the void
created by that success.  Unless this anti-dumping campaign is expanded
to include all honey producing countries and those potential producers
the long term effect can be projected against our initial experience with
China.  These funds may be better spent promoting specifically U.S.
Honey...that market opportunity perceived missed by the National Honey
Board.

 > Step 3: Planning should begin as soon as possible for a new Honey
> Promotion Board promoting American honey

Beekeeping industry members who fail to evolve with their market lose
share and experience a decline in their narrow profit margin.  The
successful operation gleans the beneficial factors from those that cause
a drain on the bottom line but few if any will completely trash their
current business to establish themselves in a different aspect of the
same industry.  It should not be necessary to scrap our National Honey
Board to affect changes that could provide U.S. beekeepers with an
increase in our domestic markets.

The results of the referendum are too quickly identified as non-support
for the National Honey Board.  There were possibly too many proposed
changes clumped together to supply an accurate indicator for the broad
picture...An increase in the per pound assessment, pre-production
research, re-allotment of Board seats and quality assurance topped the
list.
With wholesale prices down an increase in the assessment would have
jumped this line item by a large percentage drawing on the narrow profit
margin of some producers.  The expansion into beekeeping in addition to
retail marketing may be a leap not just a step.  Adding seats for
non-producers on the board could weaken the honey producer's position.
And the fear of Big Brother in the honey house doesn't appeal to anyone.
Evaluate your position relative to the National Honey Board based on the
goals of your individual operation.  Don't rely on information or
evaluations presented by your competition.  Rarely will you receive
positive support from your market competitor.  A success in your
operation could mean a change in their bottom line.  If you market honey
in any quantity ask the National Honey Board how they can help improve
your sales and market share.

Rick Leber
Beekeeping & Honey Production Since 1987
Mobile, 'Sweet Home Alabama'