From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:59:18 EST
Tom Barrett asks:
> "Am I correct in saying, that by using queen cells raised in response
> to the swarming impulse, that we are perpetuating the swarming
> propensity, when what we should be doing is lessening it?"

My personal speculation on the issue of genetic selection for swarming
propensity is that it is a red herring!  Swarming is the natural way
that the biological unit (a colony of bees) reproduces.  Genetic
selection requires reproduction; genetic selection for nonreproductive
units seems an oxymoron.  I'm not saying that one group or strain of bee
may or may not be more inclined to swarm than another, but ALL healthy
bees at some point in their existence will be inclined to swarm.
BEES SWARM, period.

> Conversely, does this not make the Demaree or the Snelgrove or the
> Jenter systems superior (or not).

What makes any of the above systems (an excellent list by the way)
superior to "just lettin' 'em swarm" or "cut out swarm cells and
give 'em more room", is that the above systems mimic a natural swarm
while keeping the population either intact or at least in the same
apiary as opposed to the woods or worse yet, your neighbors walls.
The systems work with your bees, acknowledges their natural desire to
reproduce and lets bees be bees on the beekeepers schedule!

On a different topic, I have to applaud how Tom has used this list!
An initial question about swarming was asked and answered along with
suggestions for good readings.  Tom read the answers, researched the
texts and brought back better questions.  Now, THAT'S the best of
BEE-L!

Aaron Morris - I love it when things work as designed!